This was super fun to make and is still providing tons of fun a week later.
For those of you who don't know what GAK is...it is a putty type substance that is a bit slimy and super stretchy. It makes interesting noises and can be molded like putty but doesn't make a mess! It isn't all that expensive to buy at the stores - only about $6 - but in the spirit of teaching kids to DIY....it was a priceless experiment!
TOTAL COST FOR 2 kids to make GAK $3!!!!
Note: Do not give to children under 3 as they may try to eat it. I do not recommend borax as a snack :)
To make your own GAK, you will need the following
- 8oz of White School Glue
- 1 1/2 tsp. Borax- In the laundry aisle - I use it in my homemade detergent
- Warm Water
-2 mixing bowls
- In bowl number one, empty out your glue bottle(s). Fill the glue bottle(s) with warm water - Shake and combine with glue.
- In second bowl, stir 1/4 cup or warm water with borax and food coloring.
- Slowly mix the two together. You will notice it beginning to become stringy and then a solid.
- You may have to start using your hands to squish and stir the goo!
- After a few minutes...you have your own DIY GAK!
If your kids LOVE it....You can also give it as a gift!
Looking for more fun crafts to do with the kids?
Here are a few
Toilet Paper Roll Pigs from my Friend over at Leah Inspired!
Also, click here to check out my girl Jelli Over at Jellibean Journals! She blogs all about cloth diapering, family projects, recipes, and life in Costa Rica!